Monday, August 22, 2005

lake 2005

One of my favorite places on earth is the lake. I don't know that there is anything particularly special about this lake, but I love it. I've been going there since I was born. I know it well. I've watched as it has changed over the years. It is a fancy lake. New mansions are built each year. Each bigger and fancier than the one next to it.
But as beautiful as all the mansions may be, I still love our own little lakehouse. Over the years, our house has changed, too. Growing a little less eclectic and a little more coordinated and decorated. I've worried the house has become too fancy.
The lake isn't about the house. It's about the people. I love the time I spend with people I love at the lake. This weekend I invited friends to join me at my favorite place. I'd like to think it might become a tradition. It was fun for me to share the lake experience with these people.
C.T. joined me early Friday evening, and we got to spend time just sitting on the porch talking-always a favorite activity. The rest of the group joined us later that night. But no time was wasted. The beer was iced down, and they quickly joined in to catch up with us. The rest of the weekend included beer, boating, and fun. For the second year in a row, Z helped me drink 1/2 a can of beer at 9:30am to make the drunk-ass chicken. (Drinking the beer enables me to clean out the insides of those chickens... so gross.) M once again amazed me with his fire-building skills. By 10am the chickens were smoking on the grill, and A was in the kitchen scrambling 27 eggs, beating her own scrambled egg record set the year before.
Then it was time for boating. Everyone was impressed with the new party boat. Though they were less impressed when I couldn't get it started. Luckily I went to the former owner who just happened to be the next door neighbor, and he started it right away. And so the boating began. First the tour of the fancy lake mansions. The tour included showing off my own personal favorite, not necessarily a mansion, but a large, 5 chimney house with beautiful landscaping. Then we went to the sandbar not far from my lakehouse for more beering. The rest of the day was spent on the boat or in the water. We drank beer, chatted, danced and got lots of sun. The evening was filled with beer chicken, the best macaroni and cheese ever, salad, fire, dancing, conversation, hammocks and more beer. The next morning we enjoyed waffles by C.T. Then surveyed the proof around the yard that we did, indeed, have a very good time.
Good memories were made at the lake 2005. But what happens at the lake, stays at the lake. In fact, I've already said too much...

3 Comments:

Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

i made 13 waffles.

12:04 AM

 
Blogger j-lay said...

i too share your passion for the lake. though i feel i have neglected the lake a bit over the last few years. 2006 will be the best lake year ever.

12:14 AM

 
Blogger i am cam said...

waffles were so good! i love me some waffles at the lake.

12:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home