Tuesday, August 16, 2005

cam confession #10

I like church marquees. But only because I like to make fun of them.

Whenever I am driving, I always take time to notice the catchy little sayings that have become a new trend among churches. Here are some that I've come across:
  • Avoid burning. Use Son Screen.
  • Bible: God's Lesson Plans
  • Pray up in advance.
  • TGIF: Thank God I'm Forgiven
  • Our Church is Prayer Conditioned
I've seen lots. Yes, they are annoying and cheesy. But I like them because they make me laugh. I wonder if anyone really is drawn to a church because of these one-liners that generally miss the point of church. Now I have come across one church marquee that might have gotten me through the doors of the church if I didn't already go to Journey.
  • Prayer- Better than worry and cheaper than beer
Well, amen to that. Unless, of course, we are talking about Two Rows dollar pint night. In which case the beer wins.
I don't know the history behind these church signs. I just know that they keep me amused while I'm driving around. Therefore, I like them. Because really, I like anything that makes me laugh.

5 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

my laughter from these signs usually quickly turns to tears as i think about how they've missed the point.

1:17 PM

 
Blogger j-lay said...

basically it comes down to advertising. by puting funny things on the sign people are more likely to remember the church. so when the person decides that they need or want to go to church the ods of them going to one they remember are greater than the one they don't.

1:38 PM

 
Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

i'm a firm believer that Journey needs one of these signs, if only to give me the opportunity to write special Journey messages for them each week.

11:24 PM

 
Blogger Zuriel said...

That would be genius. We'll work on it T, don't worry.

2:10 PM

 
Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

sweet.

i love journey.

and z.

10:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home