Saturday, July 09, 2005

phom tham kra-pao satang hai nai rot taex-see

Yes, I can speak Thai. At least a little. So, what did I say?
I lost my wallet in a taxi.
I wish I could say I'm just showing off my Thai, but the sentence is true. Even as I was getting out of the taxi, I was aware that I wasn't sure I had it. I think it must have fallen on the floorboard after I took money out to pay the driver.
I only had about US$10 in my wallet, a very cute driver's license and a credit card. It was the credit card I was most concerned about losing. My reason were two-fold:
1. I didn't want the taxi driver to buy a new taxi using my credit card
2. I feel financially vulnerable and dependent without my credit card
Trying not to cry until after I dealt with the credit card, I began taking the steps necessary to cancel my card- long distance.
I called the company explained the situation, made sure my hotel reservation for Ho Chi Minh had been processed, then closed the account. I thought I had placed the collect call, toll free to the credit card company. I had not. This is when the crying began.
Luckily I am traveling with friends who are willing to help me. C.T. helped me cover the very large phone bill. Both A.M. and C.T. are looking out for me. I do still have some money. So all hope is not lost. And I did pay for 3 of our hotels before the trip. So basically in the end we all end up owing each other money and eventually it might all even out.

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

that blows that you lost your card, but it sure is nice to have such good friends.

11:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home