Monday, July 31, 2006

summer in the city

I've recently discovered that summer in this city is boring as hell. Everyone keeps leaving town which leaves me with nothing to do. I don't know where they keep going. It's not like anyone I know has a summer home in the Hamptons. All I know is that this past weekend for the second time, I was without anyone to go out with me.
Of course, I didn't let that stop me. After calling everyone I know in the City, I decided to go out by myself. After all, I have my usual happy hour place. It's my very own Cheers. So I went to the place where they know my name, and I know theirs. My plan was to have just two drinks, then head home to watch a movie. I ended up staying their late as I talked with old friends and made new ones.
The next day I invited one of my new friends to join me in Central Park to lay out. It was fun. He kept me company while I worked on my tan. Later that evening I headed back to my usual happy hour place again. Where I met more new friends. This time I did only have two drinks. And I did go home to watch my movie.
The next morning I woke up feeling stressed and depressed. The realization and fear of having no job and no place to live was overwhelming. I just stayed in my bed thinking of a happy place. It just happened to be a beach. And while I was in bed thinking of my happy place, a friend called. He invited me to join him and some friends at the beach. I quickly changed into my cutest bikini and headed to Penn Station where I got the Long Island Railroad to Long Beach.
It wasn't the prettiest beach, and the water was cold. But it was exactly where I needed to be. It was yet another mini-vacation in a summer void of all the trips of the previous summer. I got to work on my tan, meet even more new people, and just enjoy being out of the City. After all, the rest of my friends were out of the City.

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

making new friends is awesome!

2:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home